Monday, April 2, 2007

Dana Altman is the New Head Hog

I was right. Nobody knew anything b/c they wanted to delay the backlash. I won't even go into my thoughts of Altman in depth. Suffice to say that we were led to believe we would be getting a big name coach. We didn't. He's been successful in the MVC. He's got questionable recruiting ability. He's a good X and O coach who demands toughness from his players. He's well respected in coaching circles and many media guys are saying this is a good hire.

In sum: We traded a bad floor coach who's a great recruiter for a good floor coach whose recruiting ability is questionable. If he can recruit well, he'll do well. If not, he might still do OK.

I guess I and many others are upset b/c we were led to believe from the get go that we would get a big name. I've gotten over my "mad" about hiring Altman but he's walking into a hornet's nest of upset fans. That said, we should all recognize that we are Hog fans and not Coach fans. Like any other coach, if he wins...he'll stay. If he doesn't win...he'll get fired and we'll start all over.

Oh well. GO HOGS!

No comments: