Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Packing and Other Assorted Happenings

I think I'd rather dig ditches than to move. Don't get me wrong, this is the best case scenario when it comes to moving, but I hate the actual act of moving. You pack up all your belongings, which is a pain in the a$$. These belongings sit in boxes cluttering up your house for an un-Godly amount of time, turning your entire residence into a mine field.

Getting up to pee at night is like trying to sneak from East Berlin to West. You tipee toe through some parts. You scurry though others (probably because you just tripped and for some reason the natural reaction to tripping is to move faster).

The dog hates it too. She's a pleaser and tries to stay out of the way. The only problem is that due to all the boxes, there's only so many "alleys" she can go to and these alleys are narrow. Meaning, if she's someplace we're trying to get to, she has to run THROUGH us to get out of the way. This is mildly troublesome when you're carrying a 50 lb box.

The cat LOVES it. Hiding places galore. In boxes. Behind boxes. It's heaven for a cat.

Junior doesn't care. He just wants his twice daily dose of gruel. He had it in his hair this morning, by the way. I told him that was a God given gift.

Mamma is handling it well. She's the neat person around our house and normally doesn't react too well to chaos, but she's taking everything in stride.

We got some of our packed boxes moved into a corner last night and that helped substantially. The cat doesn't understand why we did this but she can stick it.

On another note, our yard in Conway is evidently growing. Before leaving Conway, when we closed on our house, I had thought about the yard but there's just so much going on that I hadn't gotten around to hiring someone to take care of it in our absence. Thankfully, Grandpa and Grandma V are going to take care of it for us. Evidently grass in AR grows before June. Who'da thunk it?

Things are going well up here. I got an article from my dissertation submitted to the top journal in my discipline last Friday. We'll see how that goes.

Speaking of my dissertation, I went to the binder last Friday to get several copies of that tome bound. Several of you might be getting a dissertation for Christmas b/c that crap aint cheap! When you get it, just say "thank you" because you can rest assured that it is more expensive than the cheese tray or sweater you would have gotten otherwise. :-)

I also finished the first draft of another aritcle yesterday and sent it to the co-authors. I have one more article to complete and a couple of ancillary things then my work up here is complete. There's more work, related to my work up here, to do when I move but that will get done as well.

Anyway, now you know the "rest of the story".

Best,

Pappa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, for one vote, cannot wait til y'all are HOME and settled! Hurry up!