Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Good Words of Wisdom

I was running tonight and came up with a couple of gems. First, I know I'm getting in better shape b/c I'm thinking of sayings during my last mile of a run as opposed to wondering how many of my limbs are going to fall off after I'm done.

Second, the first of these is mildly x-rated. If you're easily offended, stop reading now and save yourself from being pissed off. I don't personally care if you get pissed off, b/c I probably won't see you for a few weeks and you'll be over it by then, but those around you might appreciate if you would refrain from pissed off-edness.

OK, here we go. I'll provide a little context here. When training for a marathon, you want to be able to stay out on the road a LONG time. This ability is more important than the ability to move fast. Leading to:

Saying #1: Marathons and marathon training are a lot like sex. It's better to be long and slow than short and fast.

See, you want to move slow and stay out there a long time as opposed to moving fast and only lasting a few miles. OK...onward and upward.

Saying #2 doesn't need much set-up but pertains to the two most important things I learned in the Ph.D. program.

Saying #2: The two most important things I learned while earning my Ph.D. are 1) how to look intelligent even when I don't know what the hell someone is talking about and 2) how to teach myself what the hell they were talking about.

There. Now go forth and spread wisdom among the masses.

Best,

Pappa

No comments: