Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I Feel Good About Dana Altman

I was a little down in the dumps yesterday and beat my thoughts into the ground, but after hearing Altman's speech yesterday I feel better about him.

He talks like a coach. Some might call it boring but he has a very no-nonsense, honest, knowledgeable tone. He knows what he wants to do. 40 minutes of defensive pressure with opportunities for 3's and driving to the basket. I'm no basketball guru, but that sounds a lot like Pitino's style to me. He seems like a quality person. That's important to players, fans, and to be a good representative of The University.

I wanted a big name coach but substance trumps style every day. I was worried about his recruiting ability but he scored big with his first recruits yesterday: Patrick Beverley and the rest of the team. By the way, we are blessed to have Patrick Beverley and his mom. They made a commitment to The University and are sticking by it. He's going to make as all proud in the future just as he has already done in the past.

It boils down to this, as with all coaches, if he wins - he'll be retained. If he doesn't win, he won't be retained. Winning is a function of coaching, recruiting, and relationships. I think we have someone who can do all three. I'm a happy Hog fan even if I wasn't yesterday morning. It's time for all of us to get behind our University and do what little we all can to support our men's basketball program.

GO HOGS!

No comments: