Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I Saw Snow Today and Marathon Training

and I was NONE too pleased. Snow in April? Really? Damned Michigan.

High on Easter Day: 40 degrees.

That's right: 40 degrees...and that ain't Celcius either. That would be Farenheit. 40 freakin' degrees FARENHEIT!

I'd cry but my tears would freeze.

Ran 4 miles without walking Sunday for the first time since last summer. It felt good. I thought I was really making progress...and I am! However, after running 3 miles (without walking) yesterday, I realized why the 4 miler was relatively easy.

You see, the 3 mile track I've been training on is VERY hilly. I mean up, down, up, down, up, down, ad nausem. The 4 mile track has a couple of hills but it has 2 miles of flat.

So, I get going on the 3 miler yesterday and I noticed from my first running step that my old body don't feel so swooft. Even the first step was an effort. That's when you know it's going to be a painful run. It was. I ran that hilly, 3 mile course without walking but it got to the point where, at the end, I was literally using foul language directed toward the hills/road.

"I'm not going to let you beat me you f'n hill."

"I'm 'bout to whoop your a$$ you damned road."

These things sound insane when taken at face value. However, in context, they seemed to make perfect sense at the time. EVERY DADGUM STEP WAS AN EFFORT but I kept on keeping on. I suppose that's something. Not much, but something.

Now, to relate the first and last parts of this post: The highs up here are butt a$$ cold and I've got to run on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. Guess what? Ain't no way I'm running outside. I know. You're supposed to train on the road but I have a rule that I'm not running (right now) outside if it's that cold. I'm just not. Period.

Treadmill here I come.

This reminds me of another good quote from "Grumpy Old Men"

"How you doin' Pop?"

Old Man says: "Terrible! It's butt a$$ cold and I'm fresh out of beer."

He then steals a beer from the first guy. Did I mention I love that movie?

No comments: